As you guys may or may not know I had the awesome pleasure of being a virtual panelist on Candice Nicole PR's PoweR Connection #PeriTalk. It was super excited and I wanted to share the amazing experience with my readers as well!!! As a publicist, I encounter aspiring rappers, business owners, etc who want to take their brand to the next level but don't quite understand the process and TRUST ME! It is a process! So without further adieu, here are my 4 Tips On "How To Work With A Publicist"!
1. Know What You Want- Be specific about what you want a publicist to do for you and your business. Do you research. Know the various services that publicists provide and how they can take you to the next level. Figure out what you need and how it fits into your overall marketing goals.
2. Have A Budget- Before contacting a publicist, you must have a budget! That's why you have to do your homework and figure out how much PR services costs. Typically for full service PR campaigns, you will be required to pay a monthly retainer between $2,500-5,000 per month. Most publicists require the retainer for the first and last month to be paid upfront.
3. Be Prepared- Once you decide on your agency/firm of choice, be sure to have your timelines for your product/service in order. Your website/rebranding phases should be complete, make sure that everything works as it should. Don't try to do test runs in the midst of your PR campaign. If you are in a product based business, make sure you have inventory set aside for media/bloggers as they will want samples to review,etc
4. Be available- Your publicist will need to be in constant communication with you especially when setting up interviews, planning launches,etc. Make yourself available for meetings and stick with them!
We at PR Mentality,LLC LOVE Honey Be Natural Magazine! They are an awesome publication for natural hair and beauty lovers around the world! So I had to catch up with CEO and Editor I'sha Gaines! Not only is she an editor and founder of a magazine, but she is also a photographer and creative director of CreateHerStock.com, a stock image site for women and creatives of color. Check out her interview below!
What inspired you to start Honey Be Natural Magazine?
When I first went natural, I had a hard time shuffling through blogs for information. I wanted to create a hub where information and features could be filtered through so I started HoneyBeNatural Magazine.
As a photographer, editor and creative director, you wear a lot of hats! How do you find the time to manage everything?
I honestly alternate weeks that I work on projects. I try and dedicate a week to each "Hat."
3.) Describe a typical work day.
I teach at Duncanville High School during the day as a commercial photography teacher. After work depending on the day I'm either prepping for an afternoon photoshoot or I take a nap. YES A NAP! From 4 to 8p.m. on most days I shut it down. I do this because I get up and work through the night on the magazines or editing photos. Alternating weeks for each of my business has worked for the most part. I use lunch breaks, afternoon times and late nights for posting on social media.
What types of story ideas do you love to receive?
Stories about business owners! Especially if it's kids!
What do you want publicists to know about working with you?
That I have new ideas daily that need to be cultivated.
What's next for I'sha Gaines and Honey Be Magazine?
HoneyBeNatural: Turning the magazine into something more memorable for 2016. It'll be a surprise(:
Createherstock: CreateHerStock we are soon going to have photo packs that subscribers can download at a low cost!
IshaGainesPhoto: Is about to be heavily involved in HoneyBeNatural photoshoots. Call it crazy, but the photography vision for IshaGainesPhoto is changing dramatically.
Words of Wisdom for aspiring entrepreneurs in the creative and literary industries?
Create Daily, Take Risks.... Don't wait too long to implement your ideas!
1. Develop Your Key Messages- Develop your slogan and mission statement. Let your audience know what you stand for.
2. Have A Solid Online Presence- You need to have a stellar website. Make sure it speaks to the vision of your brand, make sure you have a color scheme. Be creative.
3. Have A Social Media Presence- Use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Vine as ways to engage with your audience, promote your products/service and further create a branding presence.
4. Write A Press Release- Consumers and the media want to know about the latest happenings in your business. Get the word out about your product launch, new service offerings, etc. by writing a content filled press release.
5. Blog, Blog, Blog- Blogging is a great way to increase traffic to your website, enhance your brand and build your credibility as an expert.
6. Host An Event- Put together an event that showcases your services/products. Invite your current customers, potential customers and the media. Partner with companies that support your business model. For instance, if you own a hair boutique, host an event and partner with a clothing line and make-up artist.
7. Speak Up- There is no better way to be visible and promote your brand than speaking in front of a live audience. Speaking engagements allow you to connect with consumers and potential consumers on a personal level while building your credibility and showcasing your expertise.